An early ending


As the COVID stricken season was coming to a close, I found myself with four games remaining in my freshman season of college hockey.

Until we got a text from coach saying urgent Facetime meeting now.

I was lying in bed relaxing with my phone nowhere near me and one of my roommates came barging into my room saying coach is on Facetime, you need to hear this.

This was the call we as a team had avoided for nearly three months since we returned to play after winter break.

We had a positive COVID test on our team.

My heart dropped as I knew that was going to most likely put an end to our season. I packed up everything I needed for a week locked up in the white walls of an Adams Hall dorm room.

At 10:22 p.m. I packed up the essentials for quarantine: clothes for a week, my laptop, chargers, snacks, and most importantly – my source of entertainment – my Xbox and my monitor.

As pissed off as I was, I tried to make the best of the situation at hand. The first night, I didn’t get very much sleep because I was up all-night playing Xbox with my teammates to keep my mind off of the situation.

Day by day, it was a repetitive pattern of getting as much homework done as I could, then hopping on Xbox with my teammates to pass the time.

The days all started to feel meshed together. If you had asked me what day it was, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you without taking a look at my phone.

Four days in, it hit me. The walls of the dorm room felt more and more like a jail cell.

I began counting down the hours until I was out of quarantine.

The only bright side I found through it all was a good night’s sleep, because I had pushed the beds together to make a huge bed that I was able to sprawl out on.

The COVID case, in fact, did end our season and it closed the first chapter of my college hockey career.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post CU student reflects on Boulder shootings
Next post Humans of CU