Spartans win last two games

In the Spartans’ two most recent games, they suffered one loss to UMass-Boston and drew a tie against Babson, both of which were Eastern College Athletic Conference games.

On Feb. 3, the Spartans squared off with UMass-Boston, who they beat back in November 6-3. In the first 22 minutes of play, UMass-Boston scored five goals, which led them to a victory against the Spartans, 5-4.

At 5:32 in the first period, UMass’s Travis Daniel scored a power-play goal. It only took two more minutes for UMass to score again, when Andrew Burke scored for the Beacons.

Daniel scored his second of the game, giving the Beacons a 3-0 lead. Bryan Albert scored the final goal of the first period for the Beacons with just 1:46 left. Just 1:10 into the second period, the Beacons scored their last goal of the game thanks to Corey Chakeen.

However, it wasn’t until the third period that Castleton started getting on the board. Just 2:47 into the third period, Castleton’s Justin Alonzo scored an unassisted goal. A minute and a half later, on a two-man advantage, Ryan Delorme scored with assists from Josh Harris and Ben Schoeneberger. The Spartans scored another power-play goal at the 5:49 mark, making it just a two-goal difference.

With only eight minutes remaining, Harris scored again off assists from Cody Ayers and Colin Murray. With continuing pressure throughout the end of the third period, the Spartans outshot their opponents 16-3 in the third period alone.

UMass-Boston goalkeeper Kevin Bendel made a total of 32 saves against the Spartans. Thomas Shelley came in to relieve Erick Cinotti, playing the final 45 minutes, giving up a pair of goals and making 14 saves. Cinotti made nine saves.

Just a day later, the Spartans tied Babson, who they beat previously in the season by a score of 6-1.

Two minutes and seven seconds into play, the Spartans got on the board with a goal by junior Dan Bell, assisted by Justin Alonzo and Nick Lazorko. It only took Babson six minutes to respond with a goal by mike Driscoll, on a power play. 

While the entire second period went scoreless, it wasn’t until the third when Dan Bell scored again off assists by Ayers and freshman Ryan Frost, giving the Spartans the 2-1 lead. However, Babson came back with just 40 seconds remaining to tie the game at 2-2 on a power-play goal by Shayne Anderson. After five minutes of overtime play, Babson and the Spartans weren’t able to put the puck into the net, leaving the game in a tie.

Cinotti recorded 29 saves in the game, while Babson’s Andrea Peabody made a total of 42 saves.

The Spartans haven’t registered a win in their last three games, making them 15-4-2 on the season, with a 10-2-1 record in the conference.

The Spartans will next face off against St. Michael’s College on Friday, Feb. 10 at Spartan Arena. Then they will play their rival game at home against Norwich on the Feb 11.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post Semester in Sante Fe: succesful
Next post ‘Chicago’ donates to Locks of Love